TheoryCRAFTING is a series of articles where I examine an Elder Scrolls Online theory, crafting, and or both.
In this third article, we look at the viability of using Master Writs, the rare sealed writs rewarded by doing top-tier crafting dailies, to power-level a low character.
When Elder Scrolls Online released the Homestead Update (PC v2.7.5), Master Crafting Writs were included in the daily crafting writ reward boxes.
Master Writs are meant specifically for masters – they require specific sets, or specific crafting styles, that not everyone has access to. Further, Master Writs are only awarded to players completing the hardest normal crafting Writs, and are more common when you have a lot of dedication… The more you’ve done in that tradeskill, the better your odds on each normal Writ you complete. — Homestead Guide:Master Writs
One of the first published articles on leveling by master writ was posted on the official forums in August 2017 by Telvanni.
- Did not include time to collect the materials needed
- Required 12 skill points / 26 Recommended (2 professions)
- Leveled a character from level 10 to 50 in 2.5 hours
There have been some changes since writs have been introduced.
- Writ Addons
- Writ Vouchers can be banked
- Availability of resources
- Survey Maps
- Telvar Vendors
- Alliance Point Vendors (Enchanting)
- Crafting bags
Given the gaming changing nature of Addons, it is worth having another look at leveling by master writs.
- Level Alchemy to 50 (30 minutes)
- Level Enchanting to 50 (30 minutes) – Optional and requires more SP*.
- Bank or Crafting Bag well stocked with reagents and/or glyphs
- Purchase or Transfer Sealed Alchemy and Enchanting Writs to character
- Premake consumable items needed for writs using addon
- Visit Writ Turn location in a capital city
(Wayrest, Mournhold, Elden Root)
- Consume an experience potion or scroll
- Open Sealed Writs, talk to turn-in NPC, and repeat.
*SP = Skill Points
During my test, I had the following bonuses.
- Crown Experience Scroll 150% potion – Monthly Reward
- No ESO+ Bonus
I earned approximately 14,000k Experience Points per turn-in and gained a level every 1-2 minutes. The rate of experience gained depends on how fast I could manually accept writs and turn-in the writs to the NPC.
It has been successfully demonstrated by respected ESO Streamers that including writs in alternate character powerleveling can make it possible to level a character from 1 to 50 in under one hour.
The test successfully concluded that using master writs to level is a very fast method if you have access to addons, materials, and sealed writs. Non-crafters with 12 SP and a lot of coin can take advantage of this method.
However, the big winners were mastercrafters/multicrafters that do their writs every day on every profession.
- Generate their own writs for leveling
- Obtain sufficient materials from surveys earned from writ rewards
- Can create items needed to level enchanting very quickly
Sell excess sealed writs on the traders for quick gold